Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Close call

Its been 5 weeks since the surgery and I've been happy and fascinated with the fact that I have not gotten sick or nauseated at all since I started eating food. I've been almost proud of that fact. Well...I almost had an experience with not tolerating my food this evening, and I was in a very public place.

I was eating chicken salad (that was made with a pretty generous portion of mayonnaise) and after several minutes and several bites I felt a tightness in the middle of my chest right between my breasts. I've felt that feeling before, very minor, and it feels like something is stuck there or is traveling down very slowly. As the minutes went by the sensation got worse and worse until my mouth starting watering and I started getting nervous. I was in an auditorium waiting for a meeting to start and soooo did not want to get sick. I quickly went to the restroom where I just stood around and waited for the sensation to go away. It subsided, but didn't go away entirely. So, I went back to the auditorium and sat down, only to have to get back up a minute later with that same intense discomfort in my chest. Whatever was there I just wanted it to go down, not come back up! I stood by the door in the back of the auditorium and just waited. I took a small sip of water hoping that would resolve the problem and not make it worse, and thankfully after about a minute the tight ball in my chest went away.

I think what my problem was is that I didn't chew my food as thoroughly as I should have...that, and I may have eaten too fast. I was talking on the phone while I was eating so I may not have been paying attention to my chewing. I must be more careful in the future because that was a close call and I don't want to experience that again!

No comments:

Post a Comment