Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Vacation challenge



My family and I vacationed in Ocean City, Maryland all last week. It was a very nice time with very nice weather. This trip took a lot of planning on my part because since I'm only 2 1/2 weeks post-op I have to take all my supplements along with me and figure out what I'm going to do when the dining out situation comes up. We went out to eat four times and I was able to make healthy, high protein choices. Going out to eat wasn't the big deal I thought it would be. I had to carefully scan the menu and see what my options were. Appetizers and salads are always a good choice, if they're not fried. I had chicken salad twice, making sure to only eat the chicken and maybe some cheese, shrimp cocktail one night, and a mozzarella and tomato salad another night. Everything was moist and went down easily. The rest of the time we ate in our condo and I bought foods I could easily prepare and eat like tuna fish, yogurt, eggs, cheese, and popsicles. I even made my white chicken chili one night for everyone and it was a big hit...everyone loved it. I chewed my food slowly and was always the last one at the table eating. I never thought I would be going out to eat 3 weeks post op, but being on vacation I really couldn't help it. I just did the best I could, made the best possible choices, and it all worked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment